Saturday, August 25, 2012

Pizza

This is by far the best pizza dough that I've made.  It was delicious and chewy.  This recipe came from The New Mediterranean Diet

Pizza Dough

Combine 1/2 tsp yeast with 1 cup very warm water.  Stir gently.  Add 1 cup all purpose flour.  Stir until just blended.  Lumps don't matter.  Cover and let sit for at least 30 minutes.  I let mine sit for a couple of hours.  If I have any organization the next time I make this, I will let it sit overnight.

Then stir in 1/2 cup all purpose flour and 1 cup semolina flour.  Stir.  Dissolve 1 tsp salt in 1/2 cup hot water.  Add some of the water and mix until you have a dough you can work with.  The recipe says how much water you add will vary by the humidity in the room.  I added 1/4 cup, which have me a soupy mess.  I slowly kneaded in another 1/2 cup or so of all purpose flour.  Knead for 10 minutes.  Put in an oiled bowl, cover and let sit for an hour.  Again, I let mine sit for a couple of hours.  It was very easy to roll.

Marinara

Heat 2 tbsp olive oil.  Slice 5 large garlic cloves.  Cook in olive oil about 5 minutes.  Don't let it brown.  Add 1 28oz can of crushed tomatoes and 1/2 tsp sugar.  Simmer for 20 minutes.  Season with salt and pepper.

Roll out pizza dough.  Pour about 1 tbsp olive oil onto crust and brush it to the edges.  Add marinara and garnish.  Preheat oven and pizza stone to 550 degrees.  When the oven is ready, slide the pizza onto the stone and reduce the heat to 500 degrees.  Cook 7-8 minutes.

 My pizza was dressed with black olives, mushrooms, and a small amount of italian sausage.  If I wasn't out of oregano, I would have sprinkled it on top.  When it came out I added grated parmesan.  This recipe makes 2 pizzas, with some left over sauce.

Green salad with pierpont farms cherry tomatoes, blue cheese and vinaigrette.

Unfortunately Sanford has pneumonia and is unable to participate in dinner tonight, or this week.  He had a ramen soup, per his request.  I threw out the flavor packet, since that has enough sodium for a week.  We had some shrimp stock in the freezer, so I used that to flavor the ramen.  I sauteed 3 large garlic cloves - minced, 6 sliced scallions, minced ginger and 1 sliced serrano.  Add 1 cup shrimp stock cut with 1 cup water.  (My stock was a little too strong).  Simmer.  Add the ramen and cook for another 2 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment