Sunday, August 19, 2012

Mixed grill with cracked wheat and tomatoe

I love tomatoes in the summer in Missouri.  These were dressed with goat cheese, basil, olive oil, balsamic, and salt and pepper.  Perfect!

Another try at bulgar, which I got wrong again.  This time I bought cracked wheat, which is close, but not bulgar.  Wikipedia explained it to me.  Bulgar is cracked wheat that has been parboiled, so the cooking time varies.  There are also different grades, but I will tackle that later.  So tonight I started by sauteing a chopped onion, yellow squash, celery, garlic cloves in olive oil.  Season with oregano and salt to taste.  Cook until soft.  Add white wine to deglaze the pan.  Stir in the 1 1/2 cups wheat and cook stirring for a couple of minutes.  Add 3 cups chicken broth.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer.  Cover and simmer 20 minutes.  Turn off heat.  Let sit 10 minutes.  Stir in chopped parsley.  Not a lot of "wow factor" but it was a nice addition to dinner. 

Grilled chicken and lamb chops, marinated in olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper, cumin (tiny bit), oregano, herbs de provence.

No comments:

Post a Comment