Friday, August 24, 2012

Baked semolina gnocchi with pork chops and sauteed squash ribbons

This was an interesting dish.  I liked it, but I would do it differently in the future.  The whole time I was eating it I was trying to decide what other dish it reminded me.  Then finally I figured it out, and I am not crazy since my husband agreed with me (although he still has a fever and might not be the best judge).  It is reminiscent of Kurt's gorgonzola cheesecake from the Bistro, even though there is no gorgonzola in this dish.  Strange, but true.  This recipe is adapted from Essentials of Mediterranean Cooking.  I like this cookbook.  Might have to purchase it in the future.

Baked Semolina Gnocchi:

Heat 4 cups of whole or low fat milk.  (I used about 3 1/2 cups skim with heavy cream to equal 4 cups)  Bring to a simmer.  Stir in 1 cup semolina flour, 3/4 tsp salt, and 1/8 tsp grated nutmeg.  Stir with a wooden spoon constantly, until thickened.  This thickened for me almost immediately.  I cooked and stirred it for about 8 minutes.  Remove from heat.  Beat in 1 egg, 1 tbsp butter and 1/3 cup grated parmesan.

Pour into a butter pan and flatten with a wet spatula.  Refrigerate for an hour.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Cut into 2 1/2 inch circles.  Layer in another buttered gratin dish, as in the picture.  Brush the tops with 2 tbsp melted butter and another 1/3 cup grated parmesan.

Cook at 400 degrees for 25 minutes.  At this point, mine wasn't browned on top, so I put it under the broiler for another 3 minutes.

Garnish with halved cherry tomatoes and sliced basil.

When serving, the top part stayed intact, but the bottom became a gooey clump.  While delicious, I would have preferred it to be one intact circle.  The next time I will not layer them like in the picture.  I would put them on a buttered cookie sheet and cook them so that they are not touching.

I am not sure if this is technically Mediterranean, but sometimes a girl has to cook what's in her house.  I took 2 squash and using a potato peeler, sliced them into ribbons, stopping when I got to the seeds.  Heat 1 tsp butter with 2 tsp olive oil in a pan.  Add 3 minced garlic cloves.  Cook for a couple of minutes.  Add the squash ribbons.  Cook 2-3 minutes, until tender.

This might be my favorite way to eat summer squash.

Just a pork chop, seasoned with salt, pepper, and dried parsley, cooked on the flattop til med rare.  Sometimes simple is better.  Delicious.



No comments:

Post a Comment