Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Shrimp in a roasted red pepper sauce with bulgar pilaf.

First, I think I need to start using my real camera instead of my phone for the photos.  It's just so much easier.

Tonight's dinner was shrimp in a roasted red pepper sauce with a bulgar pilaf and salad.

Shrimp in a roasted red pepper sauce:  This is adapted from "The new mediterranean diet", using what was in my pantry.

Heat 2 tbsp olive oil.  Add shrimp and cook quickly on both sides.  Remove.

Add another tablespoon of olive oil.  Add 1 med chopped onion and 1/4 cup minced parsley.  Cook about 10 minutes, until soft but not browned.  Add 2 jars roasted red peppers (I sliced mine, then rinsed the brine off of them) and 1 can diced tomatoes.  Cook for about 20 minutes.  Add 1/2 cup red wine and boil to cook the alcohol off.  I let mine simmer for another 10 minutes.  Puree using an immersion blender.

Put some saffron in warm water to bloom.  Add it along with 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper to the sauce.  Stir.  Add the shrimp back into the pan.  Cook on low until shrimp is warm.  Serve at once.

Bulgar Pilaf:  (Also adapted from "THE NEW MEDITERRANEAN DIET")

Warm 3 cups chicken broth.

Saute 1 med chopped onion until soft, about 10 minutes.  Add 1 1/4 cup barley.  Stir.  Add 1 can diced tomatoes.  Stir and cook about 5 minutes.  Add the broth and salt and pepper to taste.  Cook, on med, covered 5 minutes.  Reduce heat to low and cook another 15 minutes.  Turn off heat and let sit for 10 minutes.  When I tasted it at this point the barley was still pretty firm, so I returned it to med-low heat for another 10 minutes.  Let sit another couple of minutes covered.  Stir in 1/4 cup minced parsley.

No comments:

Post a Comment