Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Sanford says

I could eat "Mexican" food every day, and I have said so for years.  The quotes are because a fried flour tortilla with cheese, refried beans, and what ever left-overs will fit, to me, barely qualifies as Mexican...quesadillas are on every sort of menu in this country...we have, for years, at all times, had tortillas, salsa, several hot sauces, and cans of re-fried beans in our house.   The cooking part of this idea is not challenging, we are pretty accomplished home cooks.  The challenge is to get deeper into the cuisine, to get a bit more understanding of the culture (we'll see...pretty ambitious), and not just cook and eat what we are familiar with.  This goes for Thai food, French food, Spain, India, and not just Mexico, though I think Mexico will be easiest for us.

Jack and Sam are great eaters.  My mom says that her and my fathers biggest fights were about my picky finicky gonna starve to death won't eat a thingness.  Not so with Jack and Sam.  They once ordered calamari by asking for the "dead baby squid"; Jack liked the tongue taco I fed him until I told him it was tongue; Sam will try anything, and is starting to really enjoy spicy foods.  Though we eat in front of the tv WAY more than I would like to admit, we really take cooking and eating serioulsy, serious in that we think about it a lot, and we really like that our kids are gaining an appreciation for food as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment