Saturday, January 8, 2011

FIRST STOP: MEXICO

We received some cookbooks for Christmas that inspired our first two months.  We will start in Mexico, thanks to the cookbook "Rick Bayless's Mexican Kitchen" that we received from my in-laws, Bill and Chris.  We are going to try to make corn tortillas daily.  Next week we'll make chorizo and roasted poblano sausage.   Then off to Italy.  We may have to start making the pancetta and prosciutto before we are finished with Mexico.   We don't have a plan for the rest of the year, except we will include France, India and Spain.  Sam and Jack made a list of their suggestions, but I'm not sure I can find a month's worth of recipes from Greenland!  We would love to hear your suggestions and always your recipes!

9 comments:

  1. I love it! Sent you Diana Kennedy's My Mexico today. Please let me know when it arrives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is the chicken-potatoes-chard recipe in Rick Bayless? Sounds great!
    I hope you'll consider having a month of eating in the eastern Mediterranean - Greece, Turkey, Lebanon, Israel, Egypt... Lots of legumes, fish, good breads, yogurt, olive oil!
    You gave me the book The Foods of the Greek Islands, and I cook from it almost as often as from Jaffrey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is. We made it again on Sunday. Greece is definitely on our list, maybe we'll broaden it to eastern mediterranean. We want to save France for July (for the tour). Also, we are thinking countries like russia might be better in the cold months.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, are you getting tired? I don't see any new postings!
    Anyway, we are still on our Italian run - last night pumpkin (butternut squash) stuffed raviolis with butter and sage and tonight veal scaloppine - so yummy! We had a little grilled polenta with tarragon olive oil. Thank god for Roundmans'Butcher/Smoker. Their eyes don't roll back when I ask for veal!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you have any taqueria "trucks" in Columbia?

    ReplyDelete
  6. No, only hot dog trucks when the weather is nice. I am enjoying mexico, but I'm looking forward to italy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't see a posting for yesterday. Did the tamales burn you out?

    ReplyDelete
  8. No. Poached chicken thighs in a roasted tomatillo-chipotle sauce. Then sauted shredded potatoes and onion, added the sauce to the potatoes, shredded and added the chicken. Pretty smoky/spicy. Served with our new standard salad of cauliflower, radish, scallion and greens tossed with a queso fresco dressing. It was just so-so, but had it with some black beans again today for lunch!

    ReplyDelete