Saturday, January 22, 2011

Chipotle?

Had lunch at Chipotle today, Sam's choice.  The flavors we are achieving at home are so much better, but I knew that going in.  At the start we agreed to making Mexican for dinners only, but all of our leftovers are...Mexican, and I, for years have eaten burritos for my 4th meal after work.  Jill has been cooking some chorizo with eggs in the morning(s), and what did we choose for our lunch today?  burritos and tacos.  This "challenge" that we created for ourselves, so far, is not challenging.

Really, what we are cooking and eating is pretty domesticated.  We have mostly used Rick Bayless's book, which uses traditional ingredients and methods, but doesn't call for much lard.  Diana Kennedy's, and the recipes in the other books we have often use lard, which we would like to avoid.  I say that what we are doing is domesticated, but, Mexican food is such a integral part of our lives, that maybe I'm taking for granted aspects of what we are cooking.

homemade tortillas every day
buying and using entire bags of various dried chiles, again and again
roasting tomatoes and fresh chiles under the broiler
we usually have 2 or 3 different homemade salsas and/or sauces in the fridge
queso fresco crumbled on everything
homemade chorizo
I'm too much of a beer geek to get into it, but we have Tecate in the house...bland watery Mexican lager

more later, Sanford

4 comments:

  1. so, when I first came to Columbia last year there was one good Mexican restaurant in town. Out off of Nifong --Taqueria something or the other. But I went there recently and it sucked. So, alas, there is no good Mexican in Columbia. Perhaps with the exception of your house. But I do have a kick-ass recipe for seafood enchiladas I will gladly share if you like. BTW, have you ever tried chipotle mole? My favorite is chipotle-marinated smoked-baby back ribs. When it comes to smoked peppers, I could go on and on. Nice blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please Devona, we would love the recipes! We haven't tried our hand at a mole yet. I think that is next week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you will love the moles.
    By the way, what will you be eating in February?

    ReplyDelete