Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Pork cacciatora

We are getting into the school year with soccer practice, band rehearsals, running kids to school events and of course, work.  I picked up the cookbook "The French Slow Cooker" with the idea that we can shorten our dinner prep and steer clear of fast food.  For us, so far, making the dinner the day before has been best.  I have to be at work for the next couple of months at 5:30 in the morning.  I can barely get my coffee and myself dressed that early, so needless to say, I am not getting up to saute some meat and veggies to go in the crockpot.  Instead I do it when I get home at 2.  It is then finished about the time Sanford gets home from work, so he can do the finishing touches.  Any way that you do it, I am happy to bring the crockpot back out.

We changed up this recipes a little, using what we had on hand.  We got home last night at 8:45, everyone was starving, so no time was taken to get a picture.  This was really tasty.  The recipe calls for country pork ribs, but we had thawed some pork shoulder so that's what we used.  It would also be good with chicken thighs.

Dry 3# pork shoulder.  Cut into slices about 1 inch thick, 1 inch wide and 4-5 inches long.  Brown in 2 tbsp olive oil.  Put in slow cooker.  Season with salt and pepper.  Pour off all but 2 tbsp fat (I didn't have more than that) and brown 2 onions, thinly sliced.  Cook 10 minutes.  Stir in 1 cup tomato puree, 3 minced garlic cloves, 2 tbsp tomato paste, 1/2 tsp herbes de Provence and a pinch of ground allspice.  Bring to a simmer, stir.  Pour over meat.  Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.  Add 8 oz sliced baby bella mushrooms in the last 30 minutes.  Discard any bones, skim any fat and serve hot, sprinkled with parsley.  Serve over polenta.

No comments:

Post a Comment