Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Overnight pizza dough.


Here's another pizza dough which I am in love.  This one requires a little more preplanning since it is made overnight.  But, the recipe is so large that it makes 6-7 12 inch dough balls, so I have some in the freezer.  This crust was different than the last one I blogged.  It's hard to tell all the difference, because one was cooked on the grill and this was in the oven.  I still think the other pizza dough is great if you want pizza in a couple of hours, but if you have the time and are looking for a thin cracker like crust with a little chew, then this is the one.

This recipe comes from the book Rustic Italian Food.  I used King Arthur all purpose flour.  I think this flour has improved all of my breads/pizzas.  It is recommended.  If you don't have that available the book says to choose a high protein flour.  Also, I know that salt kills yeast, but I never applied that fact when baking.  I have always added the salt shortly after adding the yeast.  That is a no no.  One last thing, I measured my ingredients by weight instead of using measuring cups.  I think this is better too and thanks to my scale from inlaws, I can do it much more accurately now.

Romano Pizza Dough

Mix 750grams flour, 25 grams sugar, 3.5 grams instant yeast, 355 grams cold water, and 60 grams extra virgin olive oil in the bowl of your kitchenaid.  (you can mix and knead this by hand).  Using dough hook mix on low about 4 minutes.  Increase to med and mix another 4 minutes.  Add 15 grams of salt and mix another 3 minutes.  Dough should be very soft and stretchy.  

Cut into 6 or 7 pieces.  Put on a floured board, cover loosely with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.

At this point, I wrapped some in plastic wrap and they are stored in the fridge.  Let pizza that you are using sit at room temperature for an hour.  Roll out pizza to 1/8 - 1/4 inch thick.  Top and bake as you like. 

I baked the pizza at 500 degrees (preheated for 30 minutes with stone in oven) for 7 minutes.  Probably could have upped it to 9-10 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment