Tuesday, January 3, 2012

The end of the year

I really can't believe we did this for an entire year.  I really enjoyed it and learned a ton.  I think Sanford and the boys were ready for this to be over.  I am going to the grocery store today for the first time this year and I feel a little lost.  When we started in January, I felt a little off at the grocery store.  There were certain things that I bought every time I went to the store.  Some things didn't change  - onions, garlic, tortillas, cheese, beans- but everything else did.  I have no idea what I am going to cook this week, except for tonight.  Roast chicken with a yogurt sauce, brown rice and broccoli.  This has always been a staple in our house, and I have missed it.  Also, after a rich, boozy holiday season, we are starting a little cleanse so we are going to focus on healthy foods.  Sanford is cringing at the word cleanse. 

This year instead of focusing on the foods of a particular country I want to focus on techniques.  I am not sure how much I will blog about it.  I have a new pressure cooker that I received for christmas.  I can't wait to use it.  I am not sure how to use it yet and I am a little scared of it.  I will try the brown rice in it tonight as well as some white beans.  I also got a clay cooking pot so I am excited to give that a try.  I also would like to work on bread making (I am a little jealous of the breads that my father-in-law is making).  I also am going to try canning this summer.  My best friend offered me a little garden plot in her yard this summer since the only things that grow on my tree covered land are wild mosses and ferns.

Thanks for all of your kind words and support this past year.

Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment