Saturday, January 7, 2012

Brisket tacos

Tonight I tried a brisket in the pressure cooker.  It wasn't all the way thawed, so I added 15 more minutes to the cooking time.

I seasoned the brisket with salt and pepper and seared it in the pressure cooker in a couple of tablespoons canola oil.  Then I added 2 cups tomato sauce, 1 cup beef broth, 2 tsp oregano, 2 tsp cumin, 2 tbsp ancho chili powder, 1 tsp chipotle chili powder, 2 tbsp regular chili powder, 1 diced onion, a couple of minced garlic cloves and heated the pressure cooker until it reached 15 pounds of pressure.  I cooked it at that pressure for an hour and 15 minutes.  Let it cool on it's own.  Serve with diced tomato, onion, cilantro, queso fresco, and corn tortillas.

The brisket was tender, although a little dry.  The sauce ended up cooking too long.  If I did this again I would marinate the brisket first.  I would omit the tomato sauce and substitute a can of tomatoes.  I would increase the amount of beef broth to 2 cups.

No comments:

Post a Comment