Friday, October 14, 2011

A trip to the Indian store

I love this chutney.  It's so spicy and flavorful, a little addictive.  I finally went to the local Indian supermarket.  Full of condiments and spices that I am  sure I need, but was unable to read most of the labels!  The only asafoetida I could find was below, and I am not sure it is the right one.

The recipes from this week all said they served "4-6", but we have had tons of leftovers.  Last night we pulled chicken off of the bone from the chicken and red lentil recipe.  We added the leftover cabbage, which disappeared in the sauce.  We served it with yogurt, chilli pickle, the tomato chutney from Tuesday, coriander chutney, rice and the recipe below.

Dhana Jiru:  This recipe made a pound of this, which I didn't want to make.  I just put 1 tbsp coriander seeds and 2 tsp cumin seeds in a hot pan, stirring until they popped.  Then grind in mortar and pestle.

Ful ghobi bateta ne mattar nu saak (Cauliflower, potato and pea curry):  Heat 3 tbsp peanut oil.  Add 1/2 tsp mustard seeds, 1/2 tsp cumin seeds and a pinch of fenugreek seeds.  When they begin to pop add 1/2 tsp asafoetida (when I didn't have this ingredient I would add a little lemon juice or zest).  Add 1 head cauliflower, broken into florets and 2 diced potatoes.  Stir to coat the vegetables.  Add 2 tsp dhana jiru (see above), 1/2 tsp chili powder, 1/2 tsp turmeric.  Stir gently to make sure all the vegetables are coated with spices.  Add 6 tbsp water and cover.  Cook on low for 20 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.  Add 1/2 cup peas, 3 garlic cloves crushed with 1 tsp salt, 1/2 can diced tomatoes.  Stir and cook uncovered another 5-6 minutes.  Top with chopped cilantro.

No comments:

Post a Comment