Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Indian Sausage and Smothered Pork

I don't think Indian Sausage exists, but I've been itching to spice a sausage with Indian flavors.  I think I could have used more garlic, ginger and serranos.  Cut 2 1/2 pounds of pork shoulder into 1 inch chunks.  Keep cold.  Heat 1 tbsp oil.  Add 1 tbsp cumin seed and mustard seed, 1 1/2 tsp coriander seeds.  Turn off heat when they begin to pop.  Finely dice 3 garlic cloves, 1 inch ginger and 1 serrano.  Add to seeds.  Add 1 1/2 tbsp salt and some freshly ground pepper.  Add meat to spices.  Put through grinder on small holes.  Add 1/4 cup ice water and 1/4 cup white wine.  Mix with electric mixer for 2 minutes.  Cook.


Smothered pork:  adapted from Madhur Jaffrey.  Dice 1 pound pork shoulder.  Mix with 1 small diced onion, 1 inch grated ginger, 1 chopped tomato, 1/2 cup finely chopped cilantro, 1 diced serrano, 1/4 tsp turmeric, 2 tsp garam masala, 1 tsp ground cumin, 1/4 cup yogurt,  1 tbsp tomato paste, and 3/4 tsp salt.  Heat 3 tbsp oil.  Add 4 minced garlic cloves.  Add meat and cook on med high for a couple of minutes.  Add 1/2 cup water and simmer, covered, 1 hour.  At this point I added green beans and cooked another 20 minutes.  (I wanted a one pot meal)  Cook uncovered for about 10 minutes.  There was quite a bit of fat on the top, so I took out the meat and vegetables.  I cooked the sauce on high for a couple of minutes.  Then I let it sit and skimmed off the fat.  Serve over rice and yogurt.  (This had a heat that gradually built.  I'm not sure why it got so spicy.  Maybe I had a particularly spicy serrano.)

No comments:

Post a Comment