Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Spicy shrimp and moong dal pancakes

This was quick and delicious.  Peel, devein, wash and dry 1 pound shrimp.  Toss with 1/4 tsp of tumeric and 1/4 tsp cayenne.  Rub spices all over shrimp.  Heat 1/4 cup oil in a pan on high.   Add 1/2 tsp mustard seeds.  When they pop, add 5 minced garlic cloves.  When they start to brown add 1 finely chopped green chili, leave seeds in.  Stir once or twice.  Put in shrimp.  Stir fry until opaque, 2-3 minutes.  Sprinkle with 1/2 tsp salt.  Top with 2 tsp chopped parsley.  from Quick and Easy Indian Cooking

Sanford helping in the kitchen!

Moong dal pancakes with peas:  Moong dal (they are mung beans that have been peeled and split).  Wash and drain 6 oz moong dal.  Soak 5 hours in 1 liter water.  Drain.  Put in boiling water and boil 3-4 minutes, until tender.  Drain.  Put in food processor with 1 inch chopped ginger, 3 garlic cloves, 1-2 hot chilies, cut into 4 pieces, 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp turmeric and 100 ml water.  Puree until you have a batter.  Blend a couple of more minutes to aerate.  Add 2 oz minced onion, 2 oz shelled peas, 2 tbsp chopped cilantro.  Add 1/4 tsp baking soda right before cooking.  see below

These were a little tricky to cook.  I had to add a little more water to make it less sticky.  The recipe says to heat a tsp oil.  Add batter and press with back of spoon to flatten into 6 inch disc.  Sprinkle oil over the top and at the edges.   Cover and cook for 2 minutes.  When little red spots appear, turn and cook for another minutes.  This didn't work as well for me.  I turned the heat up to med and cooked them like a pancake, not covering them.  I used a little oil on my fingers to flatten the batter in the pan.  They got crispier this way.  I didn't use fresh peas, I used thawed frozen peas.  This may have been the problem.  I think they were releasing too much fluid when heated.  I would thaw them a little longer in the future.  Regardless, they were quite tasty served with yogurt and chutney.  I think I will have some for breakfast this morning.  from Madjur Jaffrey's Indian Cooking

No comments:

Post a Comment