Sunday, July 17, 2011

Poulet Basquaise

This actually tastes much better than it looks!  Saute 1 1/4 cups of diced bacon or ham (I used both).  Remove with slotted spoon.  Brown 1 cut up chicken.  Remove.  Add 4 sliced onions and 3 minced garlic cloves.  Cook until browned and soft.  Add 2 diced green peppers and 1/4 tsp marjoram.  Cook on low for another 10 minutes.  Add 1 1/4 cups tomatoes (I used fresh cooked with a little olive oil and put through a sieve) and 1 1/4 cups chicken broth.  ( I differed from the recipe here, I think I was paying more attention to the wine than the recipe at this point).  Season with salt and pepper.  Return chicken, bacon and ham to pot.  Cover and cook on low for 45 minutes.  (When it was finished I let it sit on the stove to cool, then skimmed quite a bit of fat off of the top.  I pulled the chicken out, then shredded it.  The chicken was falling off of the bone and had a lot of tiny bones)  Bring the sauce back to a boil and reduce until thicken.  Add chicken back to pot and sprinkle with parsley and serve.  Thanks Brady, it was really good.  Perfect for the last day in the Pyrenees.

No comments:

Post a Comment