Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Samki Harra

I haven't posted too much over the past week.  Let's say it's been a week of unimpressive meals.  There was a roast chicken that I was excited about.  I minced garlic and onion and lemon together and put it under the skin.  Salt and pepper.  Drizzle with olive oil in an pan with quartered onions and potatoes.  Simple, right?  No.  I overcrowded the pan.  I knew it when I was doing it, but I thought it might be ok.  It was fine, good even, but not memorable.  The next night, I minced leftovers and cooked it in a rice.  An old standby in the Speake house.  Boring.  Too much rice.  I am forgetting the rest of the week, which is not a good sign.  Then the weekend.  Housemade noodles with more leftover chicken in a creamy sauce, better.  Sanford made steaks and mashed potatoes Sunday.  Mediterranean?  Doubtful, but it was the first thing that really sounded good to him since he has been sick, so steak it was.  Monday, scallopini and mushroom risotto.  Always a family pleaser.  The pork cutlets were pounded, dredged in breadcrumbs seasoned with onion flakes, thyme, salt and pepper and cooked for 1-2 minutes on each side.  Jack and Sam's favorite.

So tonight, back to the cookbooks for something new and exciting.  I liked this recipe, but I think it needs a little tweaking.  I expected bigger flavors, so if you make it add more cilantro, more red pepper and cumin, more lemon.  This is from The New Mediterranean Diet Cookbook

Lebanese Fish in a Cilantro-Chili Sauce

Process 1 cup walnuts in the food processor until almost a paste.  Set aside.

Dredge some fish fillets (i used cod) in flour and cook in a couple of tbsp olive oil for 3 min on each side.  Remove and set aside.

Add a couple more tbsp olive oil.  Add 1 large chopped onion and 4 chopped garlic cloves.  Cook for 15 minutes.  Add 1 cup chopped cilantro.  I didn't have quite a cup, so I added some dried coriander.  Stir.  Add 3 cups fish broth (I used lobster), 1/2 tsp cumin and 1 tsp hot red pepper flakes.  Cook gently for 15 minutes.  Add the fish back to the pot and cook another 10 minutes, until the fish flakes.

Remove fish.  Add the juice of one lemon and salt and pepper to taste.

Serve with rice and a salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment