Friday, September 21, 2012

Dinners this week.





Add caption
The first dinner was roasted chicken with tahini sauce.  (This was right up my alley.  I have been loving these flavors)  The only complaint from my family was that I didn't make enough food.  The second night was spaghetti and meatballs.  I love my homemade noodles but sometimes I prefer the toothiness of dried pasta.  I read an article that suggested dried pasta with sauces that are tomato or olive oil based and fresh noodles with cream sauces.  Sounds like a good guideline.

Roast chicken with Tahini sauce (from Gourmet).

Season chicken (I used thighs and legs) with salt and pepper.  Brown in a cast iron skillet in a couple of tbsp olive oil.  Put in oven and roast for 30 minutes.  Tahini sauce:  In a little food processor mix 1/3 cup tahini, 1/3 cup water, 2 tbsp lemon juice, 1 minced garlic clove, 1 tsp sugar (or to taste) and salt to taste.  Process.  If too thick, add more water.  Set aside.

Serve chicken with roasted cauliflower (tossed with cumin, olive oil, salt and cooked at the same time as the chicken), tomatoes, and feta.  I used have added some seasoned chickpeas to the plate so everyone would have been a little more satisfied!

Spaghetti and meatballs.

I used buccatinni instead of spaghetti.  For the meatballs, a pound of ground pork and ground beef, some fresh toasted bread crumbs, a couple of eggs, some dried thyme, dried oregano, parsley, salt and pepper.  Mix.  Make into small meatballs. Bake 14 minutes at 350 degrees.  (Mine were a little dry, damn grass fed beef.  Next time I will add a little olive oil so I get a better brown!)

For the sauce I sauteed a couple of onions until soft.  Add 5 minced garlic cloves.  Season with whatever dried herbs you like.  I usually get a little herb happy, but that is the way I like it.  I use oregano, basil, thyme, bay leaf, salt and pepper.  I had some sundried tomato paste and anchovy paste, so I added a squirt of each.  Deglaze the pan with wine.  When the wine is gone add 3 cans tomatoes.  (Here's where I got spoiled last year.  I used plain old canned tomatoes from the grocery store.  The more expensive San Marzano tomatoes are well worth the extra money for tomato sauce.  I am never satisfied with my grocery store sauce any more).  Anyway, use a stick blender and make almost smooth.  Add some sugar and red pepper flakes to taste.  Simmer at least 20 minutes.  Add meatballs and continue to simmer for another 10 minutes.  We served with garlic bread and salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment