Thursday, October 25, 2012

Meatballs in Sugo

I make meatballs quite a bit. I like them.  These were better.  I usually bake mine, but these were browned in olive oil.  Definitely better.

1 1/2 pounds ground meat.  (I used beef.  If I had other meats to grind, I would have used part of them too.)

3 or 4 slices of coarse country bread, crust removed (I didn't have this, but I did have left over olive oil bread from Mark Bittman.  It was a yeastless bread that turned out more like a biscuit than a baguette.  I wasn't sure how it would work, but it was great.  Bottom line, I don't think it matters what your bread is.  You can even use old biscuits...)   Soak in 1/2 cup whole milk.  Let stand about 10 minutes.

2 large eggs, lightly beaten

1/2 cup grated parmigiano-reggiano

1/4 cup chopped parsley,

1 minced garlic clove, salt and pepper

2 tbsp olive oil

Mix the meat with the eggs, cheese, parsley, garlic, salt and pepper.  Squeeze the milk out of the bread and add to the meat.  Combine.  Make into 2 inch meatballs.  Heat olive oil in pan and brown well.  Do this in batches if your pan is not big enough.  Remove from pan.  Pour off all but 2 tbsp fat.  (If you are using very lean meat or grassfed beef, you will probably need to add some olive oil to the pan)  Add 1 chopped onion and saute until soft.  Add 4 chopped garlic cloves, minced.  Add 2 cans tomatoes and 1 can tomato sauce.  Season with salt and pepper.  Simmer for 20 minutes.  Add meatballs back into pan and simmer another 10 minutes.  Add some freshly torn basil leaves.  stir and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment