Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Grillades and Gravy with Maque Choux

Well, this started off as a recipe the Simple Fresh Southern by the Lees Brothers.  But, once again, I changed it in relation to what I had in the house.  We recently bought some grass fed beef from a friend.  There was something in it called a "minute steak".  I was pretty sure that it was going to be a think slice of beef.  Instead it was thick and tenderized.  Totally different than what the recipe called for.  But, it was thawed and it didn't require that I head to the store.  We all liked it, but the meat was a little chewier than I would have liked (I think due to the fact that it was the wrong cut and it was grass fed, so not much fat)

Grillades and Gravy:

Mix 1/4 cup flour with 2 tbsp corn meal, 1 1/2 tsp salt, fresh ground pepper and 1/2 tsp smoky paprika.  Dredge the meat in the flour mixture.  Heat 3 tbsp oil.  Brown on both sides and remove.  Add 2 tbsp butter.  When melted, add 2 cups chopped onion, 3 finely sliced scallions, and 1 diced red bell pepper.  Saute until softened.  Add a can tomatoes, 2 tbsp frank's hot sauce, 3 minced garlic cloves, 2 cups chicken broth and 1 tsp dried red chile flakes.  Return meat to pan.  Simmer partially covered for 30 minutes.  Remove meat from pan and bring to a boil and reduce sauce.  When thickened, return meat to pan to warm.  Serve over white rice with sliced scallion as a garnish.

Maque Choux:

I've looked at a lot of recipes for this.  Most call for a stick of butter, which I couldn't bring myself to do on a Tuesday night.  Here's a compromise that I really liked.

Melt 2 tbsp butter.  Add 1 smalled chopped onion, 1 chopped and seeded jalepeno, and 1 chopped poblano chili.  When softened, add 2 diced tomatoes, 4 bay leaves, 1 tsp basil and 1 tsp thyme, 1 tsp salt, fresh ground pepper.  When the tomatoes start to release their fluids, add 4-5 cups corn and 1 1/2 cups water.  (I used frozen corn which was completely thawed, so I reduced the water to 1 cup.)  Simmer for 15 minutes.  (At this point I turned up the heat to bring it to a boil, before I reduced it to simmer.  I went downstairs and forgot that I had it on high.  I came back upstairs about 10 minutes later.  All the fluid was gone and the onions and corn were wonderfully carmalized.  I'm not sure how soupy it was supposed to be, but I really liked it this way)

No comments:

Post a Comment