Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Brazilian Shrimp Stew

Adapted from Gourmet 2002:  Oh this was good!  We served it with leftover black beans and rice.  Marinate 1 1/4 pound peeled shrimp in 1/4 tsp black pepper, 1 1/2 tsp salt, 2 minced garlic cloves and 1/4 cup orange juice with a splash of apple cider vinegar.  (The recipe called for 1/4 cup lemon juice, but I didn't have a lemon so I subbed the orange juice and vinegar)  Marinate 20 minutes.  Saute 1 chopped onion and one chopped bell pepper in 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil until soft. Add 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper and 1 tbsp chopped cilantro.  Cook for another minute, stirring.  Puree one can of tomatoes.  Add to onions.  Simmer briskly for 15 minutes, until thickened.  Add 1 cup coconut milk (I used light) (at this point I added broccoli florets because I needed a green vegetable, the recipe didn't call for it but I think it made it more interesting) and cook for another 5 minutes.  Add shrimp and cook stirring until shrimp are cooked through.  Add another 4 tbsp cilantro and season with salt pepper.  (The recipe called for stirring in 1 tbsp palm oil, but I didn't have any.  It was still good without it.)

No comments:

Post a Comment