Sunday, November 13, 2011

Fajitas


This seemed a little like cheating, but I found this recipe in a book called The Best of Cajun and Creole Cooking.  These were different from any tex-mex enchilada I have had.

Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan.  Cook 12 oz chicken breast (cut into thin strips) with 2 tbsp lemon juice and 1 minced garlic clove.  When firm, add 1/2 chopped red bell pepper, 1/2 chopped green bell pepper, and 1 small chopped and seeded  red chili.  ( I used a jalepeno)  Toss.  Remove from heat and keep warm.

Heat 1 1/4 cup milk with 1 tbsp butter.  (I used skim milk since that was what we have in the refrigerator, I am sure we lost a bit of creaminess in the end, but I didn't mind).  Add 1 tbsp cornstarch (I made a slurry before adding it so I didn't have to worry about clumps so much) and 2 tsp mustard (we used grainy dijon).  Bring to a boil, whisking constantly.  When it thickens (a couple of minutes) add 1/2 tsp black pepper and 1/2 tsp red pepper (we substitued ancho chili pepper for the red pepper).  Remove from heat, add 1 cup grated cheddar cheese.  Allow to cool slightly.

Put 2 tbsp tomato sauce in the bottom of a casserole.  Take a flour tortilla.  Paint some guacamole on it.  Add 1/4 chicken mixture.  Put a ladles worth of sauce inside.  Wrap and place on top of the tomato sauce.  Repeat for a total of 4 tortillas.  Any remaining sauce can be poured on top.  We also topped it with the extra peppers.  Sprinkle with grated cheese.  Place under broiler for 5 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment