Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Italian sausage with little Italian hot pockets.

 I decided to have another go at Italian sausage.  I liked the last one I made from the Charcuterie book, but I wanted more oomph.  Since I am not adding fat back to my sausage, just using pork shoulder steaks, I felt like I needed to up the seasoning.  I also used pork steaks from the MU meat lab which had more fat along the edges than the steaks at the grocery store.  The result was just what I was looking for! 
Cut up 2 1/2 pounds of pork shoulder steaks.  It is easier to do if they are semi-frozen still.  Then season with 4 tsp salt, 1 1/2 tbsp garlic powder, 1 1/2 tbsp fennel seeds, a bunch of ground black pepper (I didn't measure from the pepper mill), 3/4 tsp red pepper flakes, 2 tsp oregano, 1 1/2 tsp sage, 2 tsp thyme.

 Put through meat grinder.  There will be extra spices in the bowl.  Add them to the ground pork.  Attach the paddle to the kitchen aid.  Stir, adding 2 tbsp red wine vinegar and 1/4 cup cold water.  Mix for about 2 minutes.  Cook a little in a pan and taste for seasoning.   At this point you can stuff them or I just divided them into 1/4 pound patties and froze them.

But first I had to cook with it.  I decided to make an "Italian empanada" since I am in love with those little hot pockets.  I don't think that I can call this a calzone, because I think that needs pizza dough which is a yeast dough.  Anyway, whatever you want to call this is fine.  I loved it.

"Italian hot pocket"    

The dough:  Basically the same as the empanada but I substituted semolina flour for the masa and olive oil for canola oil.
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup semolina flour
1/2 tsp baking powder 
1/2 tsp salt
Stir while adding:
1/4 olive oil.
1/2 cup hot water.

Form into a ball, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerator 20-30 minutes.

Filling:  Saute the 1 cup of italian sausage.  Add 4 chopped scallions, chopped red and yellow bell pepper, 5 thinly sliced mushrooms, 4 minced garlic cloves.  Saute til soft.  Add a couple of handfuls of thinly sliced spinach.  Saute til wilted.  Season with salt and pepper.  Turn off heat.  Stir in several leaves of basil, thinly sliced and some parmesan cheese.  ( I was going to add ricotta, but when I opened the container it was moldy.  Still good without it.)  Let cool.

Divide the dough into 10 balls.  Roll out into 4 inch diameter.  Put filling on 1/2.  Fold over and crimp with fork.  Place on greased cookie sheet.  Repeat with the rest of the dough.  Poke a few holes in the top of the dough.  Use an egg wash of 1 egg and a tbsp of water to brush on the top.  Bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes.

My plan is to make quite a few of these and freeze them for snacks for the boys.  So far they haven't lasted long enough to make it to the freezer.

No comments:

Post a Comment