Sunday, May 8, 2011





Cinco de Mayo.  Some friends, all ex Sycamore employees, came over for some snacks and tequila.  We had tortilla Espanola, olives, chorizo, aioli, bread, and tequila.  We drank some delish pink wine, and tequila.  I fried some baby artichokes, and steamed some clams.  For the artichokes you pull off the outer, tough, leaves; cut off the tops and stems and then in half; cut out the choke(s), and drop them into some water that has a lemon squeezed into it (to keep them from turning brown).  Drain them and toss in a little flour, fry in olive oil.  I forgot to grate cheese on them (Spanish version of Parmesan?...Manchego is a bit soft but could be tasty).  They were awesome dipped in the aioli.  Clams were steamed in white wine, tomato, garlic and onion which were sauteed in olive oil before adding the other ingredients...and saffron.  Super easy and tasty, though I think I would always prefer mussels which are cheaper, and I think have more substance and flavor.

I could eat this way for ever, so close to our regular diet with lots of garlic and olive oil.  Ethiopia was tough.  We never came close to mastering injera (squishy pancake-like bread that is eaten with most meals).  Korea was also tough.  Jack and Sam tasted kimchi again and again but never actually liked it.  The kimchi and all of the other fermented stuff, did a number on my insides, and I didn't want to suffer through becoming acclimated.

Today is mother's day and Jill wants paella.  Wish us luck.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry I missed it. Jimmy John's and Dancing with Stars...

    ReplyDelete