Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Yes Jill, it did take me 20 minutes to write that paragraph!

There are so many great things to eat and drink and there is so little time and money and so often after work so little energy to make tortillas or pasta or...But it is fun.  For me Mexico was better than Italy because I am a fan of BIG flavors.  All the recipes we read "in Italy" called for dramatically less garlic, herbs, and spices than we usually use...we like big flavors.

Ethiopia will be fun and challenging. Challenging because we can find so little info, so few recipes...think 20 or 30 recipes compared to libraries of Italian or Mexican cook books.  Marcus Samuelsson, I'm now at work and don't have access to his book and the specifics in it, discusses how suprised he was (is) to find so little written about the cusines of Africa, particularly because Africa is so important in the history of the planet and the people that live on it.  Marcus Samuelsson is a famous chef, if you were unaware, who is from Ethiopia, was adopted and raised in Sweden, and now has restaurants in NYC. 

This post has taken several days, not for its difficulty (obviously), but for constant interuptions and demands...Jack Jill and Sam! that means you!  I'm not as smart as the three of you, I can't converse think and type at the same time.  Sam, I know you would say that I can't type at all; and Jill, you would say that I am not much of a conversationalist; and Jack, I don't want to hear your opinion on my intelligence.

After two meals, and a couple of late night snacks of left-overs, I am loving Ethiopian food...Ethiopian food of 2211 Bluff Boulevard Columbia Missouri!  Spicy and saucy with squishy bread to sop it up with.  Much more exciting for me than Italy...though I do miss the wine, and grappa, and sambuca, and fernet!

cheers! Sanford

No comments:

Post a Comment